Bearded man. Hiking enthusiast. Blogger. Non-hipster Melbournian. Mayora. Freelance writer, sub-editor, and online comm’s guy.
I’m passionate about a lot of things, like hiking, nature, conservation, writing, human rights, music, and art in all it’s forms.
I’m fascinated by technology, marketing, cryptocurrency, social media, and online communities.
I’ve even done fun things like playing in bands (badly) and making and acting in short films (so very badly… Although I did win a couple of awards for the soundtracks).
That reminds me, I’m helping the good folk at World Expeditions bring the Youth4Youth Challenge (a team charity bushwalking challenge for kids) to Melbourne in 2014. I’m super-excited about this, and there’ll be plenty more info about it coming soon.
Considering you’re here, you’ve probably realised that blogging is one of the things I love doing most. I guess I’m not too bad at it either. Sometimes, people even write about me and give me awards and things…
- Way back in 2009, not long after Bushwalking Blog first started, Frank Wall from Our Hiking Blog interviewed me. My, how things have changed since then.
- Things went kinda quiet there for a while, until Nuffnang decided to feature me as their ‘Blogger of the Month’ in June 2013.
- They even made one of those shareable quote image things with my words on blogging.
- I was incredibly proud to be a finalist in the Lifestyle/Hobby category of the Australian Writers’ Centre’s Best Australian Blog 2013 competition.
- Then one of the craziest things happened – I won the Healthy Lifestyle category of the 2013 BUPA Health Influencer Blog Awards.
BUPA profiled me on their blog(link removed by BUPA).
- I also got my ugly mug in their round-up video. It was all a bit exciting, really.
- Carly Findlay was the winner of the Positive Life Change category in the Health Influencer Blog Awards. She asked me to contribute some words for her blog, to introduce myself to her readers.
- Thanks to the BUPA award I also ended up in my local rag, the Moreland Leader (on the 19th August 2013).
- Dustin from Slick & Twisted Trails quoted me in his article, Solo Backpacking Is All About Heart & Soul.
- I’ve been featured on the HealthEngine Health & Technology Blog as part of their Bloggers Bar.
- Then I was nominated for an international award, in the “Best in show: Blog” category of WEGO Health’s Health Activist Awards.
- The US website, Travel Blogger Interviews, interviewed me about Bushwalking Blog, and about my travels.
- I was even quoted in Australian Woman’s Day (never thought I’d see my name in that magazine), on the subject of hiking with kids.
- Bushwalking Blog was awarded Most Adventurous walking website for 2013, in a roundup of the best walking websites by Consumer Walking Shoes.
- In late 2013, I started an emergency beacon rental service through Bushwalking Blog. It’s been very successful so far, earning mentions in Great Walks Magazine, Wild, and Australian Geographic Outdoor.
- I was named as one of ChilliSauce’s Top 100 Travellers to follow on Social Media for 2014.
- Pretraveller named me as one of the top 50 Australian and New Zealand Travel Bloggers, just (I was number 50 but definitely not complaining).
- I’m also one of Smart Lad’s Top 100 Travel Blogs You Should be Following in 2017
So that’s me. I’m, like, totally complex and stuff…
While I’ve got your attention, there are bucket-loads of different skills involved in blogging and I’d love to use some of them to help you (or your business) communicate online. Get in touch with me below to see what I can do for you (I’m working on a Hire Me page, so I’ll link that up here ASAP).
Want to say hello, partner with me, ask a question, make a suggestion, or tell me to get stuffed? The best ways to reach me are:
PO Box 143
Pascoe Vale Sth