Well now the battery company has entered the head torch hardware business. And judging by the Energizer® Vision HD+ Focus range, the more established brands have a worthy competitor.
Design, Comfort & Durability (Rating: 75%)
The LED lens cover seems strong and durable, though I was initially less convinced about some of the other plastic components. The tilt adjustment, in particular, feels more flimsy, clicks loudly, and doesn’t inspire confidence. However, the torch is supposed to resist being dropped from 1 metre and has a lifetime guarantee covering defects in materials, so perhaps confidence should be restored. Finally, while this isn’t a beauty contest (they’re all dorklights after all), I wouldn’t judge the Energizer as the best-looking torch available.
Functionality & Ease of Use (Rating: 85%)
One very useful option is the memory recall function. If you switch the torch on using the left top switch, it will return to your previous setting. That said, I did find it tricky locating the buttons, by feel, in the dark. The buttons are almost recessed and not easily distinguished from the rest of the torch surface.
The torch uses three AAA batteries (supplied) and should last 30-50 hours, depending on the settings used. That should be enough to see you through a multi-day walk with plenty to spare.
What I Like
- There’s a good set of specifications, including an adjustable beam, a red light, and a memory recall setting.
- The strongest beam setting is suitable for activity-based use at night, including track finding or night running.
- The adjustable head strap is comfortable and grips well.
- The level of water resistance should suit most users.
- Given its specifications, it’s competitively priced.
What I Don’t Like
- The pivot adjustment is basic and noisy – not something you’d want to hear in a hut late at night.
- While the main lens section looks robust, some other plastic parts appear a little more fragile.
- The top buttons are a little difficult to locate in the dark.
- While its mother might love it, it’s not one of the best-looking torches around.
The Energizer Vision HD+ Focus LED Head Torch is available online from Anaconda.
Disclaimer: Energizer supplied a Vision HD+ Focus LED Head Torch for review. The purchase link above is an affiliate link. None of this has any influence on the opinions presented in my review.
Have you tried the Energizer Vision HD+ Focus LED Head Torch? Got any questions or comments? Let us know by commenting below.